Monday 18 June 2012

VOICES: Ella Haggis (Calgary)

Dear Nassim Soleimanpour,

I saw your play tonight for its opening night of the Magnetic North Festival here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

First and foremost, I owe you thanks.

Thank you for connecting me to the world again.

Not only was I physically connected to your play by getting to be a "white rabbit" (number 3) tonight, but your ability to tell a brilliant story and make us as an audience all feel so present was very affecting. Before seeing your play, I too felt disconnected (in a very different way). Canada is a great country, but sometimes I feel as though I'm in the middle of nowhere, seeing the same things every day. I long to get out and see more of the world. Your play, your blog, and the thought of experiencing the same writing as people all over the globe gave me tremendous hope again.

As well, the theatre that I saw it in was the same one that I had the opportunity to have my own work workshopped in only a few months ago. I'm seventeen, and an aspiring writer. I was first drawn to your play partly out of curiosity, but partly because the next thing I'd like to work on is a one-person, one-act play. I went to learn and enjoy. In return I was taught, entertained, questioned, and affected. Thank you again for inspiring a young heart.

Peace & Love,
Ella Jean Haggis

No comments:

Post a Comment